Independent Supporters are individuals who are recruited and managed by the private, voluntary and community sector. In Plymouth they are provided by Careers South West (CSW) and Plymouth Information, Advice and Support for SEND.
The role is to provide support for parents of children with SEN, and young people with SEN, through the statutory assessment and Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) processes. Independent Supporters offer a range of time-limited support such as liaison across different agencies and advice on personal budgets. The level and nature of that support will be tailored to the particular needs of individual families. This service is independent from the local authority. Independent Supporters are recruited by the private, voluntary and community sectors and via the IAS Service.
The role of the independent supporter can include:
- Help Young People and Parents to understand the local referral process for statutory assessment and the Local Offer.
- Acting as a contact person for the parent or young person throughout the EHC assessment and planning process.
- Focusing on the main task of helping parents and young people to transfer a statement of SEN to an EHC plan (transfer reviews).
- Working with parents of young children who are new to EHC referrals process, Working with young people (and their parents) who are coming up to school leaving age and would have had a Learning Difficulty Assessment (LDA) under the old system.
- Liaising across a range of local services with the parent or young person to help gather the information required for the EHC plan.
- Provide information to parents and young people on personal budgets and how the local process works.
- Signposting parents and young people to Local Information Advice and Support (IAS) services if necessary.
For further information please call Plymouth Information, Advice and Support for SEND (01752) 258933.
Frequently Asked Questions
Plymouth Information, Advice and Support for SEND and Careers South West provide Independent Supporters on request. Call Plymouth Information, Advice and Support for SEND to request the services of an Independent Supporter 01752 258933 / 08009531131.