SEN & Disabilities

If you are worried about your child’s education you should talk with your child’s education setting this is usually the class teacher. They will discuss any concerns that you have, tell you what they think and explain to you what will happen next. If you would like independent impartial support you can contact Plymouth Information, Advice and Support for SEND who will be able to advise and support you at any meeting.

Children and young people with SEN all have learning difficulties or disabilities that make it harder for them to learn than most children and young people of the same age. These children and young people may need extra or different help from that given to others this is known as SEN Provision.

A disability is described in the Equality Act 2010 as ‘a physical or mental impairment which has a long – term (a year or more) and substantial adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.’ This includes, for example, sensory impairments such as those that affect sight and hearing and long-term health conditions such as asthma, diabetes or epilepsy.

SEN Provision means educational or training provision that is different from that made generally for other of the same age in mainstream maintained settings across the whole of England.